[occi-wg] ElasticHosts statement on Patent Licensing relating to OCCI

Sam Johnston samj at samj.net
Wed May 27 11:04:30 CDT 2009

Richard,

On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 2:43 PM, Richard Davies <
richard.davies at elastichosts.com> wrote:

> Submitted by Richard Davies, CEO, ElasticHosts
>
> ElasticHosts is pleased to announce that any patent claims held by
> ElasticHosts which are necessary to implement the "Open Cloud Computing
> Interface" (OCCI) as designed by the OGF Open Cloud Computing Interface
> Working Group will be licensed on a royalty-free basis.
>
> ElasticHosts strongly supports the creation of open and royalty-free
> standards for cloud computing, which we believe will be essential for the
> success of this key technology.

Thanks for taking the issue seriously - I note that your statement has
already been published on ogf.org and that there is precedent for Sun having
done the same for a previous API. Here's hoping we'll see something from
both Sun and GoGrid in due course.

FWIW the OGF IPR policy is drawn into the membership agreement so member
companies are covered across the board... Sun's not a member but Oracle is
;)