[occi-wg] moving forward

Benjamin Black b at b3k.us
Tue May 26 21:31:54 CDT 2009

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 6:43 PM, Sam Johnston <samj at samj.net> wrote:

> Having worked on this project full time and then some since March I take
> some amount of offense to your claim that we are "nowhere", especially
> considering that the proposal you're supporting "as an outsider" to get
> "somewhere" is the adoption and rubber stamping of your own API (not
> forgetting that one of the two co-chairs who "strongly supports this course
> of action" happens to be another Sun employee). If that ends up being the
> case even in light of the unresolved patent problems first raised over 2
> months ago then I'll be out of here quicker than you can say "vendor
> capture".
>
> Sam

i am not now and never have been an employee of sun and i support the
adoption of the sun api as the basis for further work.  i care nothing for
politics.  it is simply a clean, simple solution to the problem at hand and
the very fact that it requires more development makes it perfect for our
purposes.

i have urged you repeatedly in private communications to take a less
combative approach and now i am asking you in public.  you are doing little
but giving others reason to ignore your views, regardless of their merit.  i
see no reason to question tim's motives and many reasons to agree with the
api he has helped develop at sun.  please take a step back and see that none
of us is in charge here and we all want the best outcome.  the only way we
can succeed is together.  we will be right sometimes and wrong sometimes
(and sometimes we will be right and do the wrong thing), and that is the
nature of standards bodies.