[occi-wg] Incorporating units into OCCI

Ian Stokes-Rees ijstokes at spmetric.com
Tue May 26 18:51:22 CDT 2009

Andre Merzky wrote:
> Oh well...  - you can't make everybody happy.  At the end
> one needs to decide on one of the options, and either way,
> just getting rid of units (by defining them as fixed) seems
> like a good solution.  As others stated: a UI can always
> represent a more suitable version...

We work in different domains, clearly.  For me, and the work I've done
full time for the past 7 years, and hundreds of other people doing grid
computing (which I am definitely saying is different from the
requirements of cloud computing folks) there is a lot of manual creation
of descriptor files, so "raw" data useability in terms of creation and
in terms of readability is an important factor.

It would not be unreasonable to have a "basic" and "advanced" profile
for properties, where basic use a fixed/unitary unit, while "advanced"
use a type/scale modifier for the units, or support unit conversion.

Designing a standard so it is easy to write JavaScript web pages for it
doesn't seem like it should be a dominant concern.

Anyway, I only chimed in because someone asked about application of
units to some of the properties.

Ian