[occi-wg] Unlocking the formats deadlock

Sam Johnston samj at samj.net
Tue May 26 04:39:51 CDT 2009

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 11:01 AM, Alexis Richardson <
alexis.richardson at gmail.com> wrote:

If the IETF are happy with it, then I am.

I hate to be the one to break it to you but even RAND is completely and
utterly incompatible with your business model <http://www.rabbitmq.com/> as
well as those of many of the participants on this list. Are you sure AMQP
doesn't tread on any patents, possibly "conveniently overlooked" by your
competitors? Need I remind you of the OpenSEMP debacle at the CCIF goat
rodeo?

The patents that litter the IP wasteland are like land mines - if we fail to
exercise our duty of care to our users and end up stepping on one then the
licensing fees will be determined by lawsuits, not "reasonable and
non-descriminatory" fees (which typically only apply to large scale
standards like MP3).

I'm surprised this topic was deemed worthy of discussion... if we were doing
something hard like standardising autonomic scaling algorithms then fair
enough, but we're not.