[occi-wg] Unlocking the formats deadlock

Sam Johnston samj at samj.net
Tue May 26 03:52:58 CDT 2009

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 9:37 AM, Alexis Richardson <
alexis.richardson at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Please can you explain this statement.  Not all CC licenses are the
> same.
> >
> > In so far as patents go they are... I can release a spec into the
> > public domain and still charge you royalties when you implement it,
>
> Inasmuch as this is an issue, it is not unique to CC.  IETF is open to
> the same commentary.
>
> For example TCP has no explicit patent grants afaik.  Indeed TCP is
> IETF licensed, and the IETF license makes no explicit patent grants.

I assure you that it is not possible/interesting/sensible for us to
incorporate non-obvious<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inventive_step_and_non-obviousness>content
and/or concepts from existing standards without explicit patent
waivers/grants/pledges. In fact even a patent pledge may not go far enough
if it is tied to a particular standard (as is often the case - including for
GData <http://code.google.com/apis/gdata/patent-license.html> as it turns
out). Even things like function names can end up in patents so we owe it to
our users to tread very carefully here.

> > and if you use my trademarked name to describe your implementation
> > then you're in trouble again.
>
> I don't think this is an issue qua licenses such as CC-BY-SA which
> require attribution.  If a license *requires* attribution (or similar)
> then attribution won't suffice to constitute trademark infringement.
> Note that this is a different case from that where attribution is not
> required.

Attribution is something else again - I'm talking about things like
Eucalyptus claiming to support the Amazon EC2 API despite the existence of
at least one registered
trademark<http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?regser=serial&entry=77054011>for
same. There is some room to move here (for example, Audi referring to
BMW... only to result in a hilarious epic
fail<http://www.37signals.com/svn/posts/1675-santa-monica-bmws-checkmate>)
and we have our own name (OCCI) but if I were a competitor to Sun or Amazon
I'd be very careful about including their names in my product marketing
material.

Sam