[occi-wg] OCCI MC - State Machine Diagram

Sam Johnston samj at samj.net
Thu May 14 11:53:33 CDT 2009

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 6:33 PM, Tim Bray <Tim.Bray at sun.com> wrote:

> would'nt GET be prone to some kind of spider GETing all links it came
>> across (for indexing) causing data centre havoc ?
>>
>> Details - not if we don't include authentication information, check user
>> agents, etc. but if we feel it necessary to keep sharp implements out of the
>> way of the children then we can.
>>

> Here's the rule (http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/#safe-interaction):  "Agents
> do not incur obligations by retrieving a representation."
>
> That is to say, spiders and pre-fetching proxies and so on are perfectly
> entitled to GET any link they see, and if mayhem ensues, it's the server's
> fault, not the client.  People often say "GET should not cause a change in
> state" which is wrong, because it writes logfile entries and sets cookies
> and all sorts of stuff.

Ok so I guess I mis-parsed the part of your
post<http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2009/03/20/Rest-Casuistry>where
you said "
*The reboot and halt buttons don’t really have any state, so you shouldn’t
expect anything useful from a GET*". I'm guessing a "POST" is the best way
to "push" a button then?