[occi-wg] OCCI MC - State Machine Diagram

Sam Johnston samj at samj.net
Thu May 14 09:55:25 CDT 2009

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 4:24 PM, Roger Menday
<roger.menday at uk.fujitsu.com>wrote:

> Meh, it doesn't matter if you push a button, poke it with a stick, kick it
> or use the force - the result is the same. If anyone is to be getting a
> visit from the REST police I guess it's me but on reviewing Tim's insightful
> RESTful Causistry<http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2009/03/20/Rest-Casuistry>post (and the comments) I think we're on the right track here... he talks
> about GET but I think either would do.
>
> would'nt GET be prone to some kind of spider GETing all links it came
> across (for indexing) causing data centre havoc ?

Details - not if we don't include authentication information, check user
agents, etc. but if we feel it necessary to keep sharp implements out of the
way of the children then we can.

> I don't mind this being an exception - as Peter Keene points out<http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2009/03/20/Rest-Casuistry#c1237598640.454904>this is "not really an appropriately decomposed task for a REST
> architecture". Seth Ladd makes an interesting suggestion<http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2009/03/20/Rest-Casuistry#c1237592841.237066>about modeling activities as nouns like "running" and "backing up",
>

> So, Seth Ladds comment is essentially how I see it too. A collection of
> states.

A collection of states might be useful where machines are regularly in
multiple states (e.g. "running" and "backing up") but I'm unconvinced
there's sufficient demand/justification for the additional complexity. Most
importantly, it doesn't prohibit any useful functionality that I can
conceive (e.g. you can still backup and get progress via some indicator).

> ... so, a server might of type "commissioned" and "currently_unavailable"
> classes ?? That is a nice suggestion. A implementor could choose to
> sub-class "currently_unavailable" with "teleporting" -  some extra
> information that a client could use, or just ignore.

Yes it (kind of) makes sense, but I'm having to exercise brain cells to
understand something that should be childs play. Make the case for it (e.g.
use cases that can't be satisfied without it) and we'll dig deeper.