[occi-wg] OCCI MC - State Machine Diagram

Sam Johnston samj at samj.net
Thu May 14 08:38:23 CDT 2009

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 3:22 PM, Roger Menday
<roger.menday at uk.fujitsu.com>wrote:

>> It just means you need to pass parameters to the actuator via a GET or
>> POST request (GET comes to mind first but POST works with more/larger
>> parameters)...
>>

> I hope I don't get a visit from the REST police for this comment, but
> wouldn't the GET here be frowned upon ... (??)

Meh, it doesn't matter if you push a button, poke it with a stick, kick it
or use the force - the result is the same. If anyone is to be getting a
visit from the REST police I guess it's me but on reviewing Tim's insightful
RESTful Causistry<http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2009/03/20/Rest-Casuistry>post
(and the comments) I think we're on the right track here... he talks
about GET but I think either would do.

I don't mind this being an exception - as Peter Keene points
out<http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2009/03/20/Rest-Casuistry#c1237598640.454904>this
is "not really an appropriately decomposed task for a REST
architecture". Seth Ladd makes an interesting
suggestion<http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2009/03/20/Rest-Casuistry#c1237592841.237066>about
modeling activities as nouns like "running" and "backing up", which
could coexist. Elegant but complicated - let's KISS with what we have.