[occi-wg] Networks: attributes and verbs

Sam Johnston samj at samj.net
Wed May 13 17:17:39 CDT 2009

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 11:38 PM, Richard Davies <
richard.davies at elastichosts.com> wrote:

> > > Linking to a network
> > > --------------------
> > > Finally, there are a few attributes which can specified on the link
> when
> > > a server is linked to a network:
> > > - Local DHCP (e.g. the server operating system is internally configured
> > >   to DHCP. I am connecting it to the public internet, and want it to
> > >   appear with my assigned public static IP. Please send a DHCP response
> > >   with that specific IP address).
> > >
> > > Hmm... sounds unnecessary. Once you've assigned an IP to a server if
> you
> > > want to make life easier by offering it over DHCP then go right
> ahead...
> > > I don't see the use case otherwise.
>
> That one's actually pretty important to us at least: >50% of our servers
> work this way.
>
> The classic case is that a customer running a standard pre-installed
> operating system wants to use one of the public static IPs that they
> purchased.
>
> The high-hassle option for them is that they have to go into their OS and
> configure the static IP.
>
> We go with the other option - they can leave their OS configured to DHCP,
> and they can specify via the Web UI (or equivalently API) that the right
> static IP should be returned to that DHCP request, rather than just a
> random
> free one.

So by "*once you've assigned an IP to a server*" I mean in OCCI, not in the
server. If OCCI knows the server (presumably by MAC address) has a given IP
and your DHCP server can talk to the OCCI backend (or vice versa) then
there's no special case here... if you can support it then do and people
won't have to (but can anyway) configure statics. Have I missed something?