[occi-wg] Networks: attributes and verbs

Wes Felter wesley at felter.org
Wed May 13 14:50:17 CDT 2009

Lars Larsson wrote:

> This means, in particular, that I don't think that
> such additional services as (the configuration of) firewalls,
> DHCP servers, and the like should be included in the OCCI. If
> the customer requires these services, they should be implemented
> by VMs that are deployed on the customer's virtual network.

This is an attractively elegant idea, but in many real clouds the
minimum cost of a VM is quite high and thus it would be a waste to use a
VM for something like DHCP.

Also, if the cloud doesn't support DHCP, how can you create multiple VMs
from a single disk image? You can't configure the image with a static IP
address because then you'd have multiple VMs with the same address, and
you can't configure the image with no address at all because then you
wouldn't be able to log in to set the IP address.

Wes Felter - http://felter.org/wesley/