[occi-wg] Content Negotiation: Alternative Formats

Richard Davies richard at daviesmail.org
Wed May 13 13:35:55 CDT 2009

> Ok so let's try to get some clarity around the various alternative formats
> and use sensible names for them now on - we can do a lot better than
> "Sam's GData XML" vs "My Simple JSON".

Yes, I agree we can do better than that!

> * AtomPub: Atom meets REST or "a simple HTTP-based protocol for
>   creating and updating web resources"

I do feel that this is the combination of a meta-model (AtomPub, decision 3)
and a syntax (XML, decision 4), which are logically independent, as
evidenced by the existence of both GData-JSON (same meta-model, different
syntax) and POX (same syntax, different meta-model).

> * JSON: JavaScript Object Notation or "a lightweight computer data
>   interchange format"

So I would equally recommend that we distinguish GData-JSON from POJSON, where
POJSON is a direct rendering of nouns, verbs and attributes, by analogy to POX.

Richard.