[occi-wg] Format 2: Single or multiple core wire formats

Sam Johnston samj at samj.net
Wed May 13 11:19:21 CDT 2009

Richard,

I am and have pretty much always been for option (a) - one core format for
interop with supporting formats for integration.

More than half of our use cases are actually integration, which is to say
that interop is the exception rather than the rule. This makes sense when
you consider that every cloud deployment needs integration but far fewer
will ever actually need/want to move. That being the case I think there is
an extremely strong case for making multiple formats as easy to support as
possible (enter XSLT).

There's an option missing which has been pushed on the list: "(c) Exactly
one wire format. Period." Tim Bray's in that camp which is enough for me to
say that it should be represented, even though I don't necessarily agree
with the logic.

Sam