[occi-wg] Simple JSON rendering for OCCI

M. David Peterson xmlhacker at gmail.com
Tue May 12 20:22:26 CDT 2009

It just hit me.  JSON is utterly useless in this space.
On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 6:11 PM, Chris Webb <chris.webb at elastichosts.com>
 wrote:

> Once I've conceded that we won't pick the right format, I then have to try
>> to advocate the 'least wrong' one. JSON carries much less baggage than
>> Atom,

Sorry, but you're wrong.  The problem space here requires that there be in
place the ability to take two function names which seemingly provide the
same functionality, carry the same name, and yet couldn't be further apart
in regards to the action they represent on each of the systems in which they
live, and make a clear distinction as to what each particular function call
actually does. In relation to XML, this particular problem was solved nearly
10 years ago with the introduction of XML namespaces, something JSON is
simply not capable of dealing with at this stage of the game.

 requires much less code to parse,

As would any system that didn't have to differentiate between two words
spelled exactly the same and yet had two completely different meanings.

> and will be easier to translate back and
>> forth from

... from? If there's no back then there's no forth, so there's subsequently
no back and forth between anything that means exactly the same thing on one
system as it does another.  But there's no such thing as two systems that
are exactly alike.  And JSON doesn't allow for such discrepancies.

something more sysadmin-friendly with a small standalone C
>> utility,

Looks like the sysadmins are going to have to suck it up and learn French
this semester.

Sorry folks, JSON won't work in this space. Unless the goal of the OCCI is
finding a way for system vendors to agree upon homogenizing their system
API's? I'm pretty sure it's not, and in this regard, JSON simply will not
work. Period.

--
/M:D

M. David Peterson
Co-Founder & Chief Architect, 3rd&Urban, LLC
Email: m.david at 3rdandUrban.com | m.david at amp.fm
Mobile: (206) 999-0588
http://3rdandUrban.com | http://amp.fm |
http://broadcast.oreilly.com/m-david-peterson/