[occi-wg] Simple JSON rendering for OCCI

Chris Webb chris.webb at elastichosts.com
Tue May 12 11:11:15 CDT 2009

Sam Johnston <samj at samj.net> writes:

> Anyway Chris, weren't you now advocating a JSON-only solution?

Personally, I remain a staunch advocate of whitespace separated KEY VALUE.
To date, I have seen no technical justification for a more complex interface
to something as conceptually trivial as an infrastructure cloud.

However, because optional formats will (by definition) not be universal and
hence not something that portable apps can rely on, and given that I (like
you) am in the minority with this view, realistically I have to accept that
we'll end up specifying mandatory data format(s) which wrap(s) the data in
pointless fluff.

Once I've conceded that we won't pick the right format, I then have to try
to advocate the 'least wrong' one. JSON carries much less baggage than Atom,
requires much less code to parse, and will be easier to translate back and
forth from something more sysadmin-friendly with a small standalone C
utility, which I'll end up writing for our clients if we implement the OCCI
API.

Cheers,

Chris.