[occi-wg] Is OCCI the HTTP of Cloud Computing?

Tim Bray Tim.Bray at Sun.COM
Tue May 12 10:51:02 CDT 2009

On May 12, 2009, at 2:36 AM, Sam Johnston wrote:

> 1) Are we also talking about using IRIs or URIs only ?
>
> There was some discussion about this before with Ben Black - Atom
> IDs are not meant to be dereferenceable

That is not correct.  Their primary purpose is to act as unique
identifiers, but the normative text (properly) sets no expectation
about whether they should be usable for dereference.  Many people feel
that dereferenceable identifiers are generally speaking of higher
value and are predisposed to use "http:" everywhere.  This is one
reason it's usually wrong to micromanage users' choice of URI
schemes.  -Tim