[occi-wg] Simple JSON rendering for OCCI

Sam Johnston samj at samj.net
Tue May 12 10:35:35 CDT 2009

I guess it was only a matter of time before this discussion digressed to "my
$language is bigger than your $language" :)

We're certainly not the first to think about command-line XML
processing<http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-tipclp.html>-
 commands like 'curl
http://occitest.appspot.com | xpath //entry/title' work for me and besides,
with an XML source we get a plain text rendering for free courtesy XSLT - *even
if the provider doesn't support the format themselves*
(example<http://www.w3.org/2005/08/online_xslt/xslt?xslfile=http%3A%2F%2Focci.googlecode.com%2Fsvn%2Ftrunk%2Fxml%2Focci-to-text.xsl&xmlfile=http%3A%2F%2Foccitest.appspot.com>
).

We already host a set of common (or uncommon) transforms in the Google code
project <http://code.google.com/p/occi/> and people can use whatever format
they like (at least for reading and for CSV, TXT, PDF, HTML, etc. that's all
you need anyway - in this case you're likely just looking for a handle to
pull).

Anyway Chris, weren't you now advocating a JSON-only solution? Perhaps you
could illustrate the bash 1-liner for that...

Sam