[occi-wg] Simple JSON rendering for OCCI

Sam Johnston samj at samj.net
Tue May 12 06:20:04 CDT 2009

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 12:43 PM, Roger Menday
<roger.menday at uk.fujitsu.com>wrote:

> Rather than transforming across the actual formats, there seems to be
> a interest in defining a model and then describe how to render onto
> various data formats. So, rendering-down, rather then transforming-
> across. (?)

These are both valid alternatives but given our ultimate aim is to reduce
costs it makes [a lot] more sense to have a primary format which supports
mechanical transforms than to externalise the development to implementors
(and then expect the results to be interoperable).

> The data formats discussion is a tricky one to resolve, as there's
> things to like in each of JSON, ATOM and key-value. That said, the
> "compliant, but non-interoperable implementations through supporting
> multiple representations" is a strong argument for a single format.
> Whatever that may be ...

How does one representation for integration (e.g. desktop clients,
RightScale-style management services, live migrations, etc.) and multiples
for convenience (e.g. web interfaces, cron jobs, failover scripts,
reporting, etc.) not satisfy everybody's needs in a risk-free fashion?