[occi-wg] Is OCCI the HTTP of Cloud Computing?

Sam Johnston samj at samj.net
Tue May 12 03:52:05 CDT 2009

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 7:34 AM, Tim Bray <Tim.Bray at sun.com> wrote:

> On May 11, 2009, at 1:54 PM, Sam Johnston wrote:
>
>  The ideal core protocol would contain no references to infrastructure,
>> rather allow manipulation of resources (CRUD, linking, actuators)
>> irrespective of what the resource was. It would thus be reusable for any
>> resource (as Google have done for 16 different services and who knows how
>> many different resource types already with GData).
>>

> Odd though it may seem, until I saw this I didn't grok what Sam was
> proposing.  Maybe I still don't, but let me take a guess:

It's quite possible I've not done a good enough job of explaining myself
until now...

> You're focusing not so much Atom the RFC4287 data format, but AtomPub  the
> RFC5023 publishing protocol as implemented notably in GData and lots of
> other places, and do generic Web-resource CRUD where the resources happen to
> represent cloud infrastructure objects.  Thus you outsource most of the work
> of CRUD specification.  Then, you layer cloud-specific stuff on top of that.
>  Then collections of servers and clusters and networks and so on are
> perforce represented as Atom Feeds.
>
> Is that the essence of it?  -Tim

Essentially, yes<http://googledataapis.blogspot.com/2008/11/like-version-atompub-compliant-for-very.html>-
at least a subset of it (I'm not sure that service and category
documents
are supported nor required by GData to date) with simple extensions for
querying, concurrency/performance and any other implementation issues we
come across on the way. I've been focusing on Atom because that's how the
data is rendered - AtomPub as you well know tells us how to discover and
manipulate the Atom resources on the server.