[occi-wg] thought on interoperability vs integration

Alexis Richardson alexis.richardson at gmail.com
Mon May 11 02:37:05 CDT 2009

Randy,

Thanks very much for your supportive words.

It would be great if you could help the group by spelling out your use
case and need a bit more, since you have users asking you for things
right now.  From what you say below, about a rising tide lifting all
boats, my understanding is that you mean something like this use case:

GoGrid API --- small interop core --- OtherVendor API

If this is correct then how would this work in practice?  It seems to
me that there are three possibilities:

1. You adopt the OtherVendor API, which I assume you don't plan to do

2. You adopt the OCCI API, which would have commonality with other providers

3. You support the OCCI API for interop but provide, e.g., GG specific
APIs and extensions, possibly in several styles

In scenario 2 and 3, the customer can achieve interop with OtherVendor
through the OCCI core.  The big win comes when OtherVendor can be a
large set of providers.

Does this make sense?  I would imagine that some folks would have a
lot of extensions.  For example the DMTF guys have a much broader
scope than OCCI and if we integrated with them, we would not expect
all their private cloud extensions to interoperate with, say, EH, who
are somewhat at the other extreme of public cloud.

alexis