[occi-wg] thought on interoperability vs. integration

Krishna Sankar (ksankar) ksankar at cisco.com
Sat May 9 15:25:25 CDT 2009

Alexis et al,
a)	Wiki
	Yep, time to have a Wiki or some form of threaded discussion,
other than e-mail. Having said that, let me add to the entropy ;o)

b)	Interop vs Integration
	Agreed. Just as one more POV, interop tests the functionality
while integration tests the ability to work with various systems. So
interop first, with one format, is good.
	As you said, our first goal is to be functionally complete and
have that canonical model, which when done, means, collectively we have
understood the essential domain complexity (at least the current state
of the art, as Tim pointed out a while ago)

c)	"Transport"
	Interesting pointer to AMQP. What about XMPP as the substrate ?
(Of course, it could mean XML ;o))

d)	CDATA
	The CDATA issue pointed by Sam is an interesting one. I was also
thinking of the implications and had the question whether we plan to
chuck OVF through our APIs? I think, we can take a position like html -
i.e. use href mechanism as far as possible and base64 for the rest.

e)	OGF-25 Presentation
	Most probably we will not get to agreement on all the important
points by OGF-25. We don't have to. At GGF-25, we present the state of
our work - demark what we have agreed upon, and the alternatives we are
working on. And until 1.0, things will be unstable anyway. Plus we can
honestly represent the different camps and seek insights from the crowd.
So I do not think GGF-25 is in critical path in anyway.

f)	Disagreeing with Sam
	I also agree that we should not en-masse disagree with Sam. But
as Alexis' points out, the minimal scope vs. maximum coverage is the
key. We can restrict or curtail the APIs to a minimum set - without any
reduction in functionality; for example use hrefs instead of embedding.
Constraints are wonderful thongs !

Cheers & have a nice day
<k/>