[occi-wg] Syntax for attributes on links

Sam Johnston samj at samj.net
Thu May 7 17:45:04 CDT 2009

On 5/8/09, Benjamin Black <b at b3k.us> wrote:
> Using HTTP URIs and making things globally unique are orthogonal.  You are,
> again, assuming a specific implementation rather than describing the desired
> behavior.  You _could_ produce a system using HTTP URIs that were not
> consistent/unique/etc., just as you could produce a system based on UUIDs
> that changed as the infrastructure changed.  This is allegedly a RESTful
> API, please use the techniques of a good RESTful API, like embedding HTTP
> URIs, and describe the construction and semantics of the pieces as needed.

We were talking before about all URLs appearing in the protocol, which
does make a lot of sense. UUIDs are universally unique already are
resolveable if not retrievable from the entry point that served them,
and don't break when moved or shared. There are pros and cons of both
approaches bit I think we need to understand the full implications
before we decide one way or the other.

> Now, will someone please explain why, exactly, we are not basing this work
> on the Sun API?  I've asked several times now and have either been ignored
> or gotten hand waving.

There have (unsurprisingly) been public and private calls to rubber
stamp various APIs but each have their benefits and drawbacks and
we're trying to pick out the best parts. Single entry points,
discovery, controllers and some of the structure came from Sun^W
Oracle Cloud APIs already... the main thing that hasn't (yet) come
across is JSON.