[occi-wg] On repainting the bikeshed at the 11th hour...

Tim Bray Tim.Bray at Sun.COM
Thu May 7 17:41:01 CDT 2009

On May 7, 2009, at 6:21 AM, Sam Johnston wrote:

>> I'd like to hear more about why Sun moved off XML onto JSON.
>
> Q-Layer was always JSON wasn't it?

I've already stated that Q-layer was not the issue.  Our cloud-storage
implementation came first, long before we acquired Q-layer.  The
initial implementation of the storage service was in JAX-B which gives
you both XML and JSON for free.  We have a lot of people with net-
protocol experience in the shop, and we just don't buy into this
multiple-formats thing; it adds complexity, loses clarity, and isn't
how the Internet or the Web work.  So we decided to go with just JSON,
and the code I'm personally writing (Ruby interface to the q-layer
back-end) is JSON-only and will stay that way.

Why JSON?  Because all our data elements are numbers or short chunks
of text, do not involve fancy formatting, and fit naturally into lists
and dicts.  Nesting is non-zero but also not deep (a data center has
clusters, clusters have machines).  JSON had everything we needed and
nothing we didn't need.  Plain text makes the nesting hard.  XML is
overkill.

  -T