[occi-wg] On repainting the bikeshed at the 11th hour...

Gary Mazz garymazzaferro at gmail.com
Thu May 7 11:52:59 CDT 2009

Sam  +2

It is much simpler to map a strongly hierarchal structure to a flat
representation than the converse.

Moving towards a JSON ONLY solution may alienate and exclude
interoperability with other well established and standardized management
schemes. IMHO, this would be very poor approach for this occi effort. In
fact, using a JSON scheme would prove challenging to clearly represent
relationships in a unix /dev tree or the /proc file system. For example,
representing the different views capable in SNIA storage models with
JSON would be extremely difficult, if not at all.

Rendering a model, whether in XML or JSON should not be the issue.
Providing an accurately rendered representation reflecting the interests
of the users, including system managers, is very important. Today, most
computer systems are organized and represented though management schemes
that are at least hierarchical if not network models ie: recursion
though symbolic and hard links. Most storage systems, along with TINA,
and DMTF's CIM,  are complex systems represented though standardized
management schemes that are complex network models. As the cloud matures
and as we adopt collaborative practices, do we actually believe cloud
systems and architectures will reduce complexity ? I don't believe so.

It is far easier to represent hierarchical and network (not networking)
information with XML than JSON. It also requires less time and effort,
we don't have to flatten existing models and delay adoption.

I personally believe there will be many opportunities to represent the
complex in flatter renderings (mappings) like JSON, flat text or ASN.1,
SNMP MIBS or enterprise 6bit paper tape. Each entity involved with
clouds will have their own business models and processes. Roles and
existing operational models will determine the informations required
from clouds, one size will not fit all. We cannot treat clouds as a
university mid-term project or the 20year fiasco of linux. IMHO, again,
moving to a JSON only solution would radically defeature capabilities
and significantly limit the value proposition of deployments.

IMHO, Sam is on target,
Mark:  Go work as an IT tech in a very large data center, your opinion
will change.

cheers,
Gary Mazz

Sam Johnston wrote:
> Including the list this time...
>
> On 5/7/09, Sam Johnston <samj at samj.net> wrote:
>
>> So examples of the requisite extensibility include creating complex
>> storage and networking resources and importing the (large) existing
>> base of compute resources (in OVF or other legacy formats). It is
>> without doubt better to have the option and not use it than give it up
>> and find we need it.
>>
>> For the componentisation of implementations, it's highly unlikely that
>> the best architecture is to use the same platforms for everything from
>> controllers to monitoring to billing to security etc. in which case it
>> is extremely useful to be able to pass your messages around and build
>> them iteratively. JSON is great for [de]serialising objects in memory
>> but is actually more troublesome than XML for this particular use
>> case.
>>
>> I guess a lot of this comes down to the public vs private debate that
>> Ignacio captured nicely in a recent blog post. I prefer not to
>> differentiate and have my money on hybrid architectures. As a
>> potential client implementor I'd mych prefer not to have to implement
>> OCCi *and* vCloud^W OVF2.0 for things like that function people are
>> calling 'cloudbursting'.
>>
>> With XML we can be light for light users and as fat as need be for the
>> more demanding ones (like my enterprise clients who are primarily from
>> the CAC 40 - top 40 companies in France).
>>
>> FWIW I actually dislike XML as much as the next guy but I'm also very
>> practical and like to avoid cutting off my nose to spite my face.
>>
>> Sam on iPhone
>>
>> On 5/7/09, Mark Masterson <mmasterson at csc.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Sam -- for the record, I find blanket assertions such as "an essential
>>> enterprise feature" to be problematic.  I'm about as enterprisey as
>>> anyone
>>> could possibly be, and you are definitely *not* speaking on my behalf
>>> here.
>>> I've no doubt that you are speaking for someone or something that relates
>>> to your experience, and an alternative phrasing such as "an essential
>>> feature for the enterprise customers I work with" would clearly
>>> articulate
>>> that.  But I"m here to tell you -- there's a large and valid population