[occi-wg] Votes: XML vs. JSON vs. TXT

Edmonds, AndrewX andrewx.edmonds at intel.com
Thu May 7 04:07:38 CDT 2009

JSON is fine with me and is a good target output format for the 1st rev of OCCI. However it's the model that is the important thing for me.

In my view* there's a protocol, a data structure and an on-the-wire format.

 - Like Alexis said, the protocol is "a sequence of behaviours" - how the communication happens and is mediated. This is our set of verbs. This is, for example, can be mediated by REST.
 - The data structure is the model. This is how each noun is related to each other and what attribute is part of what noun. Models can be somewhat ephemeral, often expressed as programming language agnostic UML, BNF, XSD or indeed using a programming language e.g. Java, C etc (but then model portability is limited).
 - On-the-wire format is what we're currently talking about (JSON, XML, TXT). The raw output of our model.

The latter 2 can be compared to a compiler - the model is the language and along with a frontend, it generates an AST (an object graph). With the object graph, it's easy to output binary machine code via a backend on whatever platform required. This is similar to if I was to code my model in say Java, instantiate an object graph and then render that graph using any serialiser. For example using XStream[1] I can output my model using XML and JSON (the machine code).

So currently in my view there's consensus around a protocol - REST (hope that's fair to say); consensus forming on data structures; confusion on on-the-wire formats.

If we don't finalise our data structures (model) we won't resolve the on-the-wire format quickly.

Andy

* Apologies if this is stating the obvious :-)
[1] http://xstream.codehaus.org