[occi-wg] Is OCCI the HTTP of Cloud Computing?

Benjamin Black b at b3k.us
Wed May 6 19:14:34 CDT 2009

On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 4:57 PM, Sam Johnston <samj at samj.net> wrote:

> There's some ASP.NET stuff and some 3rd party stuff but it's certainly not
> burnt into the DNA like XML is.

Have you considered how it got "burnt into the DNA"?  People made protocols
and the tools were made to support them.  We need to design the best
protocol(s) we can, not simply the best protocol we can given the
constraints of what Visual Studio can do today.  If we get it right, the
tools will follow.  If we get it wrong, the tools support won't matter.

For some additional context: XML dates from about 1996 (Tim, please correct
me) and JSON from about 1999.  You'll find that many big players use have
JSON support in their APIs, for example, the frequently mentioned GData:
http://code.google.com/apis/gdata/samples.html#JSON .  This is not new
stuff.  It's just gotten a lot less attention for most of its existence.
That is changing rapidly for good reason.  We should pay attention to those
reasons rather than clinging to the past based on vague notions of
'maturity'.

Ben