[occi-wg] Is OCCI the HTTP of Cloud Computing?

Edmonds, AndrewX andrewx.edmonds at intel.com
Wed May 6 13:22:56 CDT 2009

The point regarding GData is one that I hinted at in the teleconf. It's a particular schema for describing the publication and syndication of content. With that (possibly simplistic view) in mind atom is not a natural fit, even though you can make it fit a model of a bunch of resources like compute, storage and network. I guess there is where the danger lies with atom, perhaps, it's quite generic and that can be very attractive, yet like the Sirens' song :-)
On further reflection, my own personal preference is with a model that is domain-specific and has as little dependencies as is possible. Something not much more simple as the one under the nouns, verbs, attribute wiki page (naturally extended with concrete types (nouns) and annotating links between entities) [1].

What is very apparent is that there are more positive calls for JSON than XML imho. Tim has provided a very useful means to choose a suitable rendering of the OCCI model and should be digested by all.

Regarding the licensing issue, if there is/were issues any of SLA at SOI contributions would be invalid as they too are released under CC-Attrib.

Regarding optional features, that makes sense. However I do see the value in offer a means to allow for extensions/plugins.

Andy

[1] http://forge.ogf.org/sf/wiki/do/viewPage/projects.occi-wg/wiki/NounsVerbsAndAttributes