[occi-wg] Is OCCI the HTTP of Cloud Computing?

Richard Davies richard.davies at elastichosts.com
Wed May 6 09:18:30 CDT 2009

> > However there's an important one missing - the specification of _how_
> > the other object is bound to the virtual machine (e.g. is the drive
> > bound as IDE or SCSI, and to which bus? Which network is which virtual
> > NIC?).
> > This extra field will be needed in the XML too, e.g. as 'type':
> >
> >   <link type="ide:0:0" rel="[22]http://purl.org/occi/storage#device"
> >      href="urn:uuid:4cc8cf62-69a4-4650-9e8c-7d4c516884df" title="Hard
> >      Drive"/>
>    start to impose on the format of device identifiers which doesn't
>    necessarily work in large, complex and/or heterogeneous environments (you
>    say eth0, I say en1 and others say "Local Area Connection"... and that's
>    before you start talking about paravirtualised block devices and so on)

Yes, there is an choice of whether to choose an abstract set of device
identifiers (e.g. nic:0) or to allow many platform-specific variants (eth0,
en0, etc.).

We can't just omit the identifiers though - it is an important part of the
specification of a VM to know _how_ storage, networks, etc. connect, as well
as just the fact that they do.

Cheers,

Richard.