[occi-wg] Templates (was Re: OCCI Dashboard)

shlomo.swidler at gmail.com shlomo.swidler at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 13:29:26 CDT 2009

> A template is just a special type of compute resource and there's nothing to
> say we're not going to end up with template network and storage resources as
> well - I really don't think a new noun is justified and would prefer to keep
> things as simple as possible... 3 nouns is about right.
>
> Sam

I'm still warping^H^H^H^H^H wrapping my head around RESTful thinking
as opposed to OO, so please bear with me.

If both "AMI"s (template-computes) and "instances" (actual-computes)
are "compute" resources, then how would the client distinguish between
the two? One reason to distinguish between them is to separately
classify them into different areas of the UI (for example the "Images"
vs. Instances" tabs of ElasticFox) based on the verbs that can be done
to them.

On second thought, I may have answered my own question: we can
distinguish template-computes from actual-computes by looking at the
verb links that are provided on them. Actual-computes will have verbs
such as "start","stop", "pause", "resume", "delete" (depending on
their current state); while template-computes will only have "start"
and "delete", and their state will never change (not sure, but it
seems to me that a template's state will not change - you can only
create a new resource from a template or delete the template
altogether).

Then again, if an infrastructure provider does not allow
actual-computes to be "paused" or "resumed" but does allow "start" and
"stop", then we cannot distinguish between actual-computes that are
stopped (having verbs "start" and "delete") and between
template-computes (having verbs "start" and "delete").

So then the question remains: how do we reliably distinguish between
template-computes and actual-computes? Or template-XXs and actual-XXs
?