[occi-wg] Finished first pass over FeatureMatrix

Sam Johnston samj at samj.net
Mon Jun 15 11:07:01 CDT 2009

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 5:29 PM, Richard Davies <richard at daviesmail.org>wrote:

> There's a strong argument for clouds to support both. Persistent storage is
> typically on SAN where it can be accessed from all virtualization hosts
> when
> the server is stopped and restarted. Ephemeral storage is typically on
> local
> disk, which is much faster but unavailable after the server is stopped and
> restarted on a different machine.

Right, there are many different possibilities for storage that should
arguably be specified by user requirement ("what" e.g. "geographically
redundant") rather than technology ("how" e.g. "RAID 10"). The three main
options I see for "local" storage are:

   - Ephemeral which is lost when the machine stops (thus simplifying
   infrastructure and reducing costs)
   - Local storage which may or may not exist next time you need it (good
   for caching configurations, calculations and so on but not much else)
   - Redundant storage which will probably survive failures (e.g. SAN)
   - HA storage which is geographically distributed, backed up, etc. and
   which you can rely on.

Of course the different levels would carry different costs and be useful for
different purposes. We just need to find a simple way for users to get and
set their preferences (whether expressed as "what" or "how").