[occi-wg] Opinion Poll: IaaS or PaaS ?

Gary Mazz garymazzaferro at gmail.com
Sun Jun 14 11:52:48 CDT 2009

I was on the same wavelength as you are until about a 3 days ago, I was
getting xVM working on opensolaris. xVM para-virtualization has a
concept of a virtual MAC address not tied to a physical MAC. This allows
them to create virtual HBA devices that can request IP addresses from
DHCP. The virtual MAC helps routers and switches find the VM when its
instantiated or transported to another rack or facility.

I'm reconsidered my past position on what's relegated to fabric in lieu
of a more comprehensive definition of IaaS.

Lets look at some provider models:
1) A provider has hard iron that they physically provision for a
customer ( the dedicated hw model/ no sharing of anything)
2) A provider has pooled iron that they logically provision (fixed
resources/dedicated hw) specific for a customer ( the LPAR model). This
includes blades, minis, 100 cpu racks.
3) A provider has pooled iron that shared resource provisioning occurs
across customers ( the dynamic model).

Irrespective of how the provider model fulfills its services, each are
providing specific items: CPUs, memory, network adapters, storage HBAs,
raw disk, filers, networks, VPNs, load balancers, web caches, name
servers, edge firewalls, etc...

In the first case --- physical partitioning providers, the
infrastructure is hard iron and no doubt fabric. In the second two
models, LPAR and VM, all of the servers may be partially or completely
visualized. We need to address what this really means for the both the
providers and the consumers.

Providers have a pool of resources they provision for each customer. I
assume each set of resources would/can be organized into one or more
federated accounts. Federations can be further subdivided into
administrative resources groups (zones).  Each federation is logically
isolated from all other accounts for security and privacy constraints
and possibly quality agreements.  The quality, availability,
responsiveness, besides types of services offered are several ways
providers differentiate themselves.

Consumers receiving federated pool of resources, can administer them
according to their IT and business requirements. The administration can
include fire walling internal to the federation, VPN connections between
federations and zones, and balancing external workload across multiple
applications servers, Essentially, executing the same organizational and
administrative tasks occurring in private data centers.

Unless there are hard requirements for physical isolation or dedicated
hardware, consumers will not care whether their infrastructure is
physically partitioned, implemented as LPARs, floating VMs or how
closely services are linked to fabric resources.. Consumers will expect
or require certain levels of quality from their service..

Bottom line:
Consumer services are defined by the providers; not all providers offer
the same services; and how a provider implements of their services, as
far as occi concerns,  are unrelated to their service offerings.

IMO, I don't think we can exclude cloud service providers because their
services are too "close" to the fabric. We need to include virtualized
hardware parameters like MACs as well as other infrastructure services
including DNS, firewalls and VPNs.

In the world, there are going to be varying degrees of compatibility
betweens cloud provider technologies and service offerings. Some
differences can be easily be worked around, while other may be
irreconcilable; while all supporting and implementing occi.

For example, virtual MACs are a hard reality and a critical attribute
for some providers. Even though they are not required by all providers,
it may not be a good idea to exclude them. In this case, the OCCI can
accommodate both type of providers by acting as a superset for network
adapter configurations. A provider not requiring a MAC address for their
operations can ignored the parameter.

The idea that ALL occi cloud providers will be 100% inter-operating in
the face of differentiated (missing or incompatible)  service offering
is unrealistic.  For example, if a consumer has an application requiring
infrastructure provided load balancing services, they cannot engage a
provider not offering those services. The OCCI cannot reconcile
providers with incompatible infrastructures. In this example, the OCCI
can only provide a vehicle  for the consumer to assess the capabilities
of a provider.

Reiterating, I think we need to include more virtualized services and
vituralized hardware configurations.

lemme get a few more cups of coffee...

-gary