[occi-wg] Offtopic: Rackspace open-sources its cloud interface

Sam Johnston samj at samj.net
Fri Jul 31 02:57:11 CDT 2009

This is a really great initiative on their behalf but, like Sun, it's
missing a key piece: patents.

IPR 101
Intellectual property (which is said to be a "seductive
mirage<http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/not-ipr.html>")
has 3 parts:

   - Copyrights
   - Patents
   - Trademarks

They've got copyright covered... both the specification and the [client
side] implementation are under CC-BY and MIT licenses respectively. I didn't
see anything about patents though so without a pledge we can't touch it, and
just see how long it is that you're advertising your product using the terms
"Rackspace" or "Sun" before you have a letter from their trademark lawyers.

I'll take the patent issue up with them and we have our own name so we're
good on that front.

Sam