[occi-wg] (no subject)

shlomo.swidler at gmail.com shlomo.swidler at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 15:33:03 CDT 2009

Thijs,

Thanks for this updated version.

I notice that there are two important requirements missing, from at least
the use case I proposed "Manage cloud resources from a centralized
dashboard", but maybe from others as well:

Taggability: Every resource discoverable by the API must be able to be
tagged by the user. This supports the oft-occurring situation where
resources, though they are identified by the implementation-specific
identifier, are easily identified using terminology defined by the user for
his specific context. For example, one might  tag resource
"/compute/instanceABCDEFG" with the label "database server", and the
resource "/storage/disk12345678" with the label "superSecretCorporateData".

Searchability: The ability to request lists of resources must allow an
optional filter that can specify a category or tag upon which to filter the
results. This allows one to further limit their view to, for example,
resources tagged "productionEnvironment", or resources of the category
"storage".

I would rate both of these as a "Medium" priority. I have added these to the
Wiki.

We've discussed these use cases before - we should make sure they are
reflected in the requirements.