[occi-wg] Opinion Poll: IaaS or PaaS ?

Randy Bias randyb at neotactics.com
Fri Jul 3 15:33:38 CDT 2009

I couldn't agree more.  This was a capability I lobbied for at
GoGrid.  Amazon provides this to a limited degree and it would be
ideal if all IaaS providers allowed you to upload images.

Unfortunately, we're not quite there yet in terms of market maturity.

This does lead back to the question of "How do I get # NICs in a
configuration of <foo>?"  In an ideal world this would be possible,
but unfortunately, right now the way that IaaS systems are being
designed is unquestionably limited in scope.  For one thing, most of
them tie things like the # of NICs and the network configuration
directly to the underlying physical infrastructure's topology, which
is clearly wrong.  They do this because the technology is not quite
there to allow a true abstraction layer between the physical network
topology and the logical cloud network topology on top of it.

We need very flexible network virtualization capabilities like those
possible with OpenFlow.  I'm afraid this is a ways out as most of the
incumbent network hardware manufacturers (Cisco, Juniper, et al) are
too blind to see a future where network hardware is as big a commodity
as the x86 platform.  Not to mention it's a huge threat to their
business models.

But I'm jumping way ahead of myself.  I'll outline this in detail in
some blog postings in the near future.

Thanks,

--Randy

On Jul 3, 2009, at 7:35 AM, André Brinkmann wrote:

> I do not want to split hairs, but I am interested (from a customer
> perspective) to be able to deploy arbitrary OS-images inside my
> virtual machine, so the OS is not part of the service offered by the
> Iaas-provider.

Randy Bias, Cloud Strategist
+1 (415) 939-8507 [m], randyb at neotactics.com
BLOG: http://cloudscaling.com