[occi-wg] OCCI specification document

Thijs Metsch Thijs.Metsch at Sun.COM
Tue Aug 18 06:02:35 CDT 2009

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your comments...added some inline questions/comments/ideas
etc...

@Mark do you have any ideas/suggestions regarding the storage related
comments from Richard?

> 2.3 Operations
>
> As described, Create is form-encoded, Retrieve is in application/occi+X,
> Update is in application/occi+X, Delete doesn't need a format, and Requests
> are form-encoded.
>
> I'd like us to also support application/occi+X for Create and Requests so
> that it's possible to write a client which only knows about a single format
> rather than having to implement at least two (form + one occi+X).

> 5. Nouns and attributes
>
> You'll need to make storage.size a Float, like compute.memory.size to allow
> drives below 1 GB (e.g. CD images). Alternatively (and better in my view),
> you could turn all of Floats into integers and describe them in the basic
> units - bytes, hertz, etc.

good remark with regards to the CD images!

> Compute and storage resources need better status and support for being
> transient or persistent (a cloud could support both models, so needs to be
> told which a given resource will be, since the semantics are different when
> a server shuts down). I'd suggest:
>
> - Compute: add a 'status', which is 'active', 'stopped', etc. (maybe 5.2.1
>   state machine handles this? But the section is empty).
> - Compute: add a 'compute.type'? which is Enum(transient, persistent).
>
> - Storage: add a 'status' which is 'mounted', 'inactive', etc. (again, does
>   5.2.1 handle this?)
> - Storage: reliability isn't the same as transient/persistent. A persistent
>   storage is one which isn't destroyed when the compute shuts down. It could
>   still be on RAID, local disk, SAN, etc. So split out 'storage.type'? which
>   is Enum(transient, persistent) from storage.reliability

We probably should ping the guys from SNIA about this one. I cced Mark..

> For networks, I feel there's missing content:
>
> - There is no mechanism described for static IPs on the public internet
> - The network.ipv4 is almost enough to run a DHCP server, but not quite.
>   You'd really need name servers too.
>

> What is the hostname attribute in table 7? Is this just an example? I don't
> really see it as a common attribute, so that networks and storage have a
> hostname...
>

> I definitely feel that the compute.memory.speed, compute.memory.reliability
> and storage.reliability are less important than the other attributes
> described.

How would you like to handle this? Add a column to the table and stating
the severity?