[occi-wg] OCCI specification document

Sam Johnston samj at samj.net
Fri Aug 14 06:02:34 CDT 2009

On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 11:41 AM, Andre Merzky <andre at merzky.net> wrote:

> Quoting [Sam Johnston] (Aug 14 2009):
> >
> >    Everything, by virtue of having a URL, has a globally unique
> >    identifier.
>
> file://localhost/etc/passwd is a URL, but not globally
> unique (DNS is not globally unique).  Same for
> file://10.0.0.1/etc/passwd
>
> I guess this does not matter to us, but anyway...

That's an interesting point (and an interesting suggestion that OCCI might
be used on file:// URLs/sockets). You're right though in that it doesn't
matter for us - so long as it's unique for your system then all's well.
Another caveat is that if we allow people to use relative URLs (as is the
case for the web today) then those need not be unique at all. Relative URLs
are useful for internal references in which case they greatly simplify
copies and moves.