[occi-wg] OCCI specification document

Lars Larsson larsson at cs.umu.se
Fri Aug 14 03:49:14 CDT 2009

Hello all,

after having read the specification in its most current version,
I would like to request a number of clarifications regarding not
only the attributes given at the end of the document. Some of
these requests for clarifications that follow may not be
possible to answer yet (or at least not in time for OGF27).

- Page 2 states that it is trivial to translate between wire
formats. It then gives an example in the "text" format. Could
the translation to e.g. XML (Atom) be shown as well? This would
clear up how one would go about posting e.g. a Create request
using something else than the HTTP Form encoding, as show on
Page 3.

- Page 3 states that there are both global and local IDs, and
that resources should also have a UUID attribute. Is the local
ID the same as the UUID, and the global one simply the URL
(which includes the UUID)? Clarifications may be in order here,
perhaps with an example.

- Page 3 also states that the resource may be moved by an
implementation to some other implementation. If so, it is
according to the text permissible to not know the new URL for
the resource. How will the user find out about this new URL, if
she is given a HTTP 410 Gone message by the site she submitted
the resource to?

- On Page 4, given the presence of "Requests", it is not clear
to me what should be considered an "Update" or a "Request". Is
there a semantic difference between the two, and if so, what is
it?

- Page 6, at the "DELETE" operation, there is a note that
everything "under" a resource is deleted. What does this mean,
specifically?

- On Page 6, Collections are mentioned, and that they will be
rendered as Atom feeds. Are collections (as Atom feeds) to be
accepted as input to some/all operations? Could examples of this
be presented in that case?

Please note that collections as input, and the related
collections as output will require some special handling, since
the Atom specification does not consider the Entries in a Feed
to be ordered. Thus, the mapping from the output Entries to the
input Entries must be made clear in the output.

- Page 6 has an overfull hbox (in LaTeX terms, in English "text
too long to fit on the paper") in the example, which makes
reading the example impossible. Please fix!

- On Pages 8 -- 10, it is unclear how most of the attributes
will be mapped to Atom (starting with Section 4.4.4 "Status" and
onward). What should be elements, and what should be attributes?
The information needs to be represented somehow, and mappings to
Atom Entry elements is not defined. Thus, they must be defined
by the OCCI.

- Monitoring is supposed to be supplied as an OCCI extension,
but there is a set of attributes for reporting status on Page 8.
How does the client get such status reports, and is
monitoring intended to work in the same way?

- Page 10 mentions the State machine, without presenting it.
Perhaps it would be clearer to the reader if the state machine
is included, given that the document describes how to alter the
state of a (compute) resource?

On that note, what are the state machines for the other types of
resources?

Best regards,

-- Lars