[occi-wg] OCCI MC - State Machine Diagram

Michael Richardson mcr at sandelman.ca
Mon Apr 20 08:02:12 CDT 2009

Missing are error states.

For instance, "starting" may well lead to an error state such as "failed
to boot".  The VM may well be spinning cycles at "Kernel panic", "db>",
or "Failure on Drive C, abort,retry,fail".  The failed state is
important for clients to know, and possibly also for billing.

Another state that I can think of that might be important is network
disconnect --- you may have a VM that is ACTIVE, but the networks are
disconnected. I'd call this state "STANDBY"

(Or not yet connected).   I often do this in my virtualized
infrastructure: bring up a VM with a new version of software, on a new
IP, with VRRP/CARP configured, but I'm not going to connect it on the
live side until it's confirmed to be up, at which point, I enable the
networking, and it takes over the virtual IP.

--
]     Y'avait une poule de jammé dans l'muffler!!!!!!!!!        |  firewalls  [
] mcr at sandelman.ottawa.on.ca http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/ |device driver[