[occi-wg] OCCI-WG Conference Call 2009-04-22

samj at samj.net samj at samj.net
Wed Apr 22 10:19:04 CDT 2009

I've shared a document with you called "OCCI-WG Conference Call
2009-04-22":
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=ddqm27m2_291zwgn28ht&invite=501063204 It's
not an attachment -- it's stored online at Google Docs. To open this
document, just click the link above. --- Thanks to everyone who as able to
make it for a good (1hr) call today. I have prepared some notes covering
most of the topics that were raised which are temporarily in a Google doc
so you can add your own notes before we migrate to the wiki. Generally we
are very happy with the progress made over a very short period and the most
important result of the discussion was a timeline leading up to OGF26 at
the end of next month (by which time we will have an implementable draft).
Sam
OCCI-WG Conference Call 2009-04-22

Note: Future conference calls to be held at 08h00 PDT / 17h00 CEST (see
meeting planner)

Schedule
OGF 26
First draft of the API to be delivered along with a presentation (ideally
directly from the wiki so as to familiarise potential participants)
Two slots requested - one for presentation (marketing moreso than technical
- with slides) and one for discussion/feedback
OGF 27
Final specification in "static" format
Future
Ongoing enhancement by way of registries (following concsensus on the
mailing list) and extension development (e.g. firewall management)
Progress
Charter
Done and approved.
Use Cases
Please take a look at the use case pages and update it if necessary
IL to mail requesting more use cases - better to get input now than later
Infrastructure
Wiki, web site, logo, etc. done by committee offline
API Design
Good progress made already - this will be the basis of the implementable
draft
Agreements
States
We have the essential states that we need now
Add states as we need them via registries
This approach should give sufficient flexibility
Keep state diagram very simple (with comment about error state being
universally applicable)
Verbs
Compute / Network / Storage (with subtypes for e.g. physical/virtual
machines and networks, drives and snapshots, etc.)
IP addresses, VLANs, etc. (IDs inside networks is ok for EH - details need
to be codified and ratified)
High level agreement / consensus on most issues - little contention
Draft
No action required beyond developing information in the wiki
Taxonomy/Ontology to be defined by end April (already mostly complete)
Formats to be defined by mid May (work and discussion underway)
Feedback to be solicited internally and externally in the latter two weeks
of may respectively
Todo
Formats
Documentation
TM to advise on documentation requirements for OGF
SJ has DocBook templates underway
Other issues potentially in scope?
Network management API (basic)
Storage management API (basic)
Security functionality (basic)
Deadlines
April - Nouns / Verbs / Attributes (Wiki)
May 15 - Formats / Wire Protocol (Wiki)
May 22 - Internal Feedback
May 29 - External Feedback
June - Documentation