[occi-wg] Resource Types: Compute / Network / Storage

Simon Wardley simon.wardley at canonical.com
Sun Apr 19 13:48:45 CDT 2009

My $0.0001 cents work

Back in 2006 we used to describe the computing stack (when it came to
utility computing) in terms of three layers :-

Software : the provision of complete user applications [no-one wanted to
call it applications because the acronym would have been "Application as
a Server or "AaaS"]

Framework: includes development platform, messaging queue, databases and
all the common elements used in the creation of an application.

Hardware : the provision of raw compute resources, storage and networks.

These ideas were based upon the concepts of componentisation. Obviously
since that time we've had all the renaming games and as Lefkowtiz
described back in July 2007 the "aaS" wars caused by the appearance of
Jedi thought masters.

By the beginning of 2009 we had settled once again on a three layer
structure of application / platform / infrastructure.  Obviously above
these are additional layers such as data, process, organisation and ....
but let's not get into it.

Can we please stick to the three layers of application, platform and
infrastructure and not introduce any NEW concepts.

As for fabric or instance based - all three layers can be provided
either on a fabric or instance basis. SOLO is an example of an instance
based PaaS whereas Azure is a fabric based PaaS etc. EC2 might be
instance based IaaS but there is no reason why we can't (with SSI) more
of a fabric based IaaS.

Of course this is from an user perspective. From an operator perspective
you might end up with bare bones -> SSI (providing a large fabric) ->
virtual instances (for end users).

All sorts of combinations are possible. This is why we always tried to
keep it simple. I'd suggest you focus on instance based infrastructure
and keep it simple.

Just my thoughts ...

Kindest

Simon W