[occi-wg] Resource Types: Compute / Network / Storage

Sam Johnston samj at samj.net
Sun Apr 19 12:03:19 CDT 2009

On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 6:47 PM, Krishna Sankar (ksankar) <ksankar at cisco.com
> wrote:

> Going back, I think, first the Compute, Storage, Network should be under
> infrastructure. The Platform comes next. There is something that the
> PaaS provides more than IaaS and that need to go there.

OK so there are 5 layers here (there were 6 but "storage" has been consumed
by "infrastructure" and "services" by "software" - "fabric" was spawned
primarily in response to Cisco's "unified computing" foray into the server
space):

   - Client
   - Software
   - Platform
   - Infrastructure
   - Fabric

The idea is that fabric delivers raw computing power to the infrastructure
layer, which in turn delivers neatly packaged compute / network / storage to
the platform layer, which delivers components (e.g. queues, persistence,
etc.) and services (e.g. search, data feeds) to the software which in turn
delivers machine and user interfaces to the clients (e.g. twitter web vs
api).

In any case the thing I care about for OCCI is that Infrastructure ~=
Compute / Network / Storage and I don't think we've got any contention
there.

Sam