[occi-wg] Resource Types: Compute / Network / Storage

Sam Johnston samj at samj.net
Sun Apr 19 03:56:54 CDT 2009

Chris,

Good to see I'm not the only one working [early] Sunday mornings :)

On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 10:39 AM, Chris Webb <chris at arachsys.com> wrote:

> I'm happy with any reasonable choices here, except that to avoid an ugly
> API, whatever set of words we pick should be single shortish words (not
> multiple words, and preferably not abbreviations) of a grammatically
> equivalent type:
>
>  compute, storage, networking
>
> work, as do
>
>  {computers,guests,instances,servers,machines}, {stores,drives}, networks
>
> but mixing between the groups is less good---I can create 'a drive' or 'a
> computer' but not 'a compute'. Whatever happens, we don't want to leave an
> illiterate legacy like HTTP's ghastly 'Referer:' header!

The *resources* themselves that we are managing are compute/storage/network,
but if you take a look at the
registries<http://forge.ogf.org/sf/wiki/do/viewPage/projects.occi-wg/wiki/Registries>you
will see that I have sub-types:

TypeSub-typeDescription computephysical-machinePhysical machine compute
virtual-machineVirtual machine computesliceVirtual private server,
container, zone, etc. networkphysical-networkPhysical network segment
networkvirtual-networkVirtual network segment networkload-balancerLoad
balancer device storagedriveHard disk drive storagesnapshotA snapshot of a
storage resource at a point in time
Hope that helps.