[occi-wg] OCCI MC - State Machine Diagram

Sam Johnston samj at samj.net
Sat Apr 18 06:40:52 CDT 2009

Afternoon all,

I have created a diagram (attached) of what I think the absolute minimum
core states need to be... essentially boiling them down to "STOPPED" and
"ACTIVE" with "START" and "STOP" being the only requisite actuators.
Transitional "STOPPING" and "STARTING" states are optional.

I believe states should be completely unambiguous so I don't particularly
like the DMTF model ("stopped" and "active" machines are also "defined" but
this is a separate state) and that also rules out vague terminology like
"inactive" (which could mean both "stopped" and "suspended").

I've got an optional RESTART actuator which takes you from "ACTIVE" to
"STARTING" as well as an optional "SUSPEND" and "RESUME" cycle which takes
you via the transitional "SUSPENDING" and "RESUMING" states between "ACTIVE"
and "SUSPENDED".

DMTF have another "paused' state but I wonder whether this needs to be a
state in its own right or if it's an attribute of "suspended". That's a
rhetorical question - we could spend all week discussing nuances but for now
I want to make sure we agree on the absolutely minimalist core
functionality. Other states can be added via a live registry which we can
pre-populate with a view to guiding innovation without stifling it.

This has been uploaded to the wiki:
http://forge.ogf.org/sf/wiki/do/viewPage/projects.occi-wg/wiki/StateModel