[occi-wg] Nouns and Verbs (was: Syntax of OCCI API) - state model

Andre Merzky andre at merzky.net
Fri Apr 17 08:46:09 CDT 2009

Quoting [Ignacio Martin Llorente] (Apr 17 2009):

> Hi
>
>> I think it might be useful to know the exact state at
>> sometime.  Maybe we an split is up: It only get in
>> migration state when the users  triggered the operation.
>> It stays in running when it is a load-balacing
>> operation.
>
> The user cannot request a migration, there is no reason
> for that.  Migration can only be triggered by the
> local/internal scheduler of VM  placement. And in such a
> case, as long as the user receives the  contracted
> capacity, the migration is transparent.

True.  But can we mandate that migration is always
transparent?

For systems where this is not the case, a 'Migrating' state
(or some other state which describes degraded performance,
like 'Snapshot', 'Backup', or whatever) may be useful, or
even essential.

Andre.

--
Nothing is ever easy.