[occi-wg] Nouns and Verbs (was: Syntax of OCCI API) - state model

Lars Larsson larsson at cs.umu.se
Fri Apr 17 08:14:22 CDT 2009

On Fri, 17 Apr 2009, Ignacio Martin Llorente wrote:

> We do not need "migrated", that is an internal operation that can not
> be requested using a Cloud API

I fully agree with Ignacio.

I think there is a difference between the set of states that a
VM can be in, and the set of states that may be set using the
API. The first set may be larger and include informational
states such as "being migrated" or "being copied", but that does
not mean that the user can actively request that a VM should be
migrated.

I suggest that we use the states shown at page 25 in "CIM System
Virtualization White Paper" by the DMTF (DSP2013), available
here:

 	http://www.dmtf.org/standards/published_documents/DSP2013_1.0.0.pdf

Displaying extra information, such as "being migrated" or "being
copied" is up to the infrastructure provider to optionally add
to the description of the state that is reported via monitoring.

Best regards,

-- Lars