[occi-wg] Nouns and Verbs (was: Syntax of OCCI API) - state model

Chris Webb chris.webb at elastichosts.com
Fri Apr 17 07:49:21 CDT 2009

Thijs Metsch <Thijs.Metsch at Sun.COM> writes:

> Installed --> Starting --> Running --> Stopping --> Stopped
>                                  \---> Suspended --> Starting --> Running
>                                  \---> Migrated
>                                  \---> Copied
>
> Hope this nice piece of ASCII arts survives :-)

It did! Could you clarify how 'migrated' and 'copied' differ from 'running'?
(Migration of VMs within a cloud for load-balancing is something that should
surely be completely user-transparent. Is this intended for some other
purpose?)

Also, I don't follow what your 'installed' and 'starting' states are for.
Surely our virtual machine is either running or not: we can't distinguish
from outside whether a guest OS has fully started or not, even if we believe
such a distinction is well-defined.

Cheers,

Chris.