[occi-wg] Nouns and Verbs (was: Syntax of OCCI API)

Richard Davies richard.davies at elastichosts.com
Fri Apr 17 07:07:46 CDT 2009

> storage:

Tackling storage alone next, aside from CRUD, I believe the core verbs are:

- resize (might or might not be via updating the size attribute, as per
  other discussions this morning)
- read and write (to actually get data into and out of the storage from
  outside the cloud)
- image (to copy data between storage areas within the cloud)

The other operations are all interesting, but secondary (I assume the point
of taking storage offline would be that it is billed at a lower rate?)

> *- start (aka online)
> *- stop (aka offline)
> *- snapshot?
> *- backup?

Thinking about the various current clouds, snapshots are probably the most
common of these three. The snapshot operation will presumably create a new
storage object, snapshotted from the first at the point of creation (likely
copy on write).

This snapshot operation could be either a verb in itself, or alternatively
that you pass the 'parent' to snapshot into the create call when you make
the new storage object.

Richard.