[occi-wg] Semantics of OCCI API: nouns and verbs

Sam Johnston samj at samj.net
Thu Apr 16 15:33:48 CDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 10:21 PM, Richard Davies <
richard.davies at elastichosts.com> wrote:

> > Search service (SS)
>
> Sam - looks good - I had seen it and thought is was likely your solution
> for
> this area. How does it actually handle the two cases which I mentioned?
>
> 1) Return all properties for a single known object (e.g. a single server
> with known UUID). I assume this is somehow does with category search?
>
> 2) Return a list of all objects (possibly for a given type), without their
> properties (since these might be expensive to read). For example, simply
> list the UUIDs of all servers?

Ok sorry I forgot to mention that this was actually a requirement I had not
considered (that is the performance and scalability cost of unnecessarily
calling on extensions).

1. Actually it's even easier than that. If you know a UUID you can just GET
<entrypoint>/<uuid> and you'll get the lot. Given categories can be
arbitrarily large I'd suggest that they also be sparse.

2. By default we should just return just the basic content that's already in
the database... so not bothering the performance monitor counters or asking
the billing system to sum up usage (we have to hit the database anyway so
this is no cost).

If we need information from the extensions we should explicitly ask for it.
Exactly how this might be done I'm not sure but for simplicity certainly
some sort of representation in the query string, e.g. "?ext=br,pm".

There's a Google Data
overview<http://code.google.com/apis/gdata/overview.html>,
Protocol Basics <http://code.google.com/apis/gdata/docs/2.0/basics.html> and
Reference <http://code.google.com/apis/gdata/docs/2.0/reference.html> that
are great resources for getting up to speed with Google's approach, and the Sun
Cloud APIs <http://kenai.com/projects/suncloudapis> at Kenai (as well as Tim
Bray's blog <http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/>) are also worth a look. You know
where your API <http://www.elastichosts.com/products/api> is but I've been
looking at the GoGrid API <http://wiki.gogrid.com/wiki/index.php/API> (among