[occi-wg] ElasticHosts introduction

Sam Johnston samj at samj.net
Thu Apr 16 07:57:47 CDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 2:36 PM, Chris Webb <chris.webb at elastichosts.com>wrote:

> > Actually you're spot on - I'm just pointing out what's common and
> conceding
> > that we should be flexible about the 1's and 0's.
>
> Great, I agree with both of you!
>
> Our supporting a variety of API formats has given a significant win for
> those end-users not using heavyweight XML-friendly languages, e.g. writing
> shell scripts in the way one might when working with traditional
> infrastructure and the contents of one's virtual machines. I don't want to
> lose that user-convenience.

Great! So another bonus of having XML available at the top end is that it
can be trivially transformed into whatever you like. For example, did you
know that behind the scenes google.com renders search results in
XML<http://www.google.com/coop/docs/cse/resultsxml.html#wsXMLExample>before
using XSLT to transform them into HTML?

I don't want to talk too much about what the future holds for OCCI (for fear
of accusation of boiling the ocean et al) but there would be nothing
stopping an XSLT god (e.g. not me) from writing an XSLT based web interface
with all the ontological, taxonomical & semantic goodness their heart
desired ;)