[occi-wg] Scheduling parameters

Sam Johnston samj at samj.net
Tue Apr 14 06:27:35 CDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 1:12 PM, Mehdi Sheikhalishahi <
mehdi.alishahi at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear All:
>
> In the API Specification, Do you address the scheduling parameters for
> Advance Reservation, Co-allocation and others?

Interesting question... I have spent a large chunk of my weekend roughing up
the API<http://forge.ogf.org/sf/wiki/do/viewPage/projects.occi-wg/wiki/APIDesign>and
rather than bundling everything in together have so far opted for a
core
+ extensions approach. This fits nicely with wanting to support everything
from single-user virtualised desktops and hypervisors burnt into
motherboards to global infrastructures with millions of resources and a
single entry point.

For clouds (like Amazon EC2) that have fixed hardware configurations rather
than fluid resource allocations I'm planning to expose templates. One way to
implement Amazon EC2 style reservations would be to implement a "reserve"
actuator similar to "start", "stop" and "restart". This also touches on the
question of whether instances persist when they are stopped - ephemeral
implementations should be supported as well so this is something I'm
thinking about.

As Andrew said, best thing for you to do is explain your requirements in a
use case.