[Nsi-wg] wrapping up NSI v2.0

Hans Trompert hans.trompert at surfnet.nl
Tue May 26 10:59:07 EDT 2015

Hi,
*
*The action items with my name on it are:
*

1

Hans T

Hans T

Timeout duration

Agree the a common duration for timeouts in NSI CS.
Note:  Do we need different time-outs for tree and chain?

4

Hans T

Hans T

Monitoring

Integration into monitoring needs to be addressed

*
Regarding 1:

In my experience the suggested timeout of 2 minutes for both the MTL
Timeout and the Coordinator timeout and the reservation timeout is
sufficient for the current automated GOLE deployment. The default
reserve timeout on many OpenNSA instances was 30 seconds, I have
contacted most of them and they have increased the timeout to 2 minutes.
The longest chain of NSAs that I have experience with is a chain of 4
(uRA -> aggregator -> aggregator -> uPA), a timeout of 2 minutes has
proved to be sufficient until now.

Regarding 4:

This ended up as an work item on the GLIF Automated GOLE TF todo list
for 2015. An initial document 'AutoGOLE Dashboard - v04' was written by
Gerben and myself and was distributed on the automated GOLE mailing
list. It will be a lot of work to create a comprehensive monitoring
environment, but not many people have volunteered to help until now. My
initial assessment is that we probably will need an extension to NSI to
be able to really monitor the control plane, data plane monitoring can
be integrated in existing monitoring applications relatively easy or can
be programmed from scratch without the need for additional NSI features.

Cheers,
    HansT.